Reporting Suspected Financial Exploitation of Seniors
The Investor Protection Unit of the Delaware Department of Justice (“IPU”) is implementing a new form for use by financial institutions and its employees in reporting suspected instances of financial exploitation of elderly adults. Title 31, § 3910(c) of the Delaware Code provides that, where an employee of a financial institution has a reasonable belief that an elderly person has been or may be the subject of financial exploitation, the financial institution must report this information to the Department of Health and Social Services. In addition, the financial institution may also report the suspected financial exploitation to the IPU, which is responsible for investigating crimes in connection with the offer, sale, or purchase of securities. Please be advised that all reports of suspected financial exploitation will remain confidential.
Reporting to IPU may be accomplished in one of two ways:
To successfully complete the Delaware Investor Protection Unit Report of Suspected Financial Exploitation, please follow the steps below.
- Ensure you have Adobe Acrobat Reader prior to trying to save the form and submit online. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, please download the free software for the following devices: Desktop Computers | iPhone/iPad | Android |Windows Phone. This is the only platform that supports the online submission of the application. If you are using a Mac/Apple computer or device, do not fill out the application using Preview. Please use Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Download the Delaware Investor Protection Unit Report of Suspected Financial Exploitation
- Save the form to your computer or device
- Open the now-saved PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Complete the form. Please enter as much information as possible. If a field is not pertinent or you do not have the information, you can type in “not applicable” or “N/A”.
- Save the completed form to your computer or device. The form does not automatically save your information for your reference, even after you have downloaded it. In order to fill in the form and make necessary changes as you go along or after you submit it, you MUST save the form to your computer or device prior to inputting any information into it.
You may make the report via telephone at (302) 577-8424
If you have any questions, please contact IPU at (302) 577-8424 or by email at IPU.SeniorProtection@delaware.gov.