On September 21, 2011, Governor Jack Markell signed into law the Delaware Mortgage Loan Modification Services Act (MLMSA) which became effective March 21, 2012. The Attorney General of the State of Delaware is responsible for issuing licenses, examining mortgage loan modification service providers and enforcing the provisions of the MLMSA. The Director of the Consumer Protection Unit administers the MLMSA law by designation of the Attorney General.
Applicants for licensure as mortgage loan modification service providers are encouraged to review the MLMSA in its entirety and to consult with legal counsel. The business advisory in the link below is intended to provide general information only and does not constitute legal advice. Reliance on any information in this advisory will not excuse violations of the law.
Consumers are encouraged to consider the information in the link below when making decisions about fee-based mortgage loan modification services. Additional information on free HUD-approved housing counseling services is provided in the link below.
Important Documents and Other Information
- Businesses - Advisory
- Consumers – Information
- HUD-approved Housing Counseling Agencies
- Licensed Providers (.pdf)
- Mortgage Loan Modification Services Act, 6 Del. C. § 2400C, et seq.
- Application for Renewal (coming soon)
- Surety Bond
Consumer Advisories and Public Announcements
- Cease & Desist by Agreement between State and Liberty Credit Law, P.C.
- Enforcement Complaint against Consumer Relief Programs, Inc., d/b/a Consumer Advocacy Assistance
(800) 220-5424 or (302) 577-8600
Delaware Department of Justice
Consumer Protection Unit
820 N. French Street, 5th Floor
Wilmington, DE 19801